What to bring and expect from a Newborn Session with me!
Updated: Feb 24
Thank-you for choosing Panda Creative Photography. YAY! You're baby is finally here, and you want to capture those wonderful precious first weeks. Within the blink of an eye your little one will be crawling, walking and talking so your newborn images will be those you shall treasure forever. Here at Panda Creative Photography we like to photograph your Newborn within the first 15-20 days of birth, however that depends if the baby arrived on time or was premature. It doesn't really matter as long as they are happy and healthy! We've had babies in up too and over 6 weeks of age.
So what happens in these types of sessions? Heres a few tips for parents prior to your session, on arrival and what to expect throughout.
Lets look at the pack and prep stage prior to your photoshoot first!
1. Before your session if your newborn has slept solidly for around 3 hours, we may have trouble getting your baby to sleep and therefore may not be able to get many posed shots you’ve requested. Please, if you can, on the morning of your session, try to keep your newborn awake for 2-3 hours by giving either a bath (longer than normal to keep them awake), interacting with them and feeding them just before you leave your home or on arrival to our home studio - as you may know, this might all go out the window, as these things are always easier said than done. But it can really make a difference to your session, especially if the newborn arrives nice and sleepy.
2. Dress you're newborn in a simple, loose sleeper that doesn’t have to be lifted over the head, just incase baby is sleeping soundly on arrival. No tight socks or vests to avoid lines on their skin. Please also remove any eye gunk or boogers where possible prior to your session please.
3. If you are considering using a dummy, please bring it along as it can be a lifesaver when your newborn continuously wants to feed/suckle for comfort. A dummy can help avoid contact with mummy while we are in the ‘rhythm’ of your session. Using a bottle or a dummy for a couple of minutes can help maintain the fluidity of the session and helps your little one to settle easier. On the other hand we do also have a white noise machine which helps sooth your baby if you have opted to not use a pacifier.
4. If you are breast feeding, it may help to not eat any spicy foods the night before your session, or drink caffeine 48 hours prior to photographs as this could possibly unsettle the baby.
5. Important one - we would be extremely grateful if you could feed your baby a full feed before you leave for your session. A full tummy = a very sleepy baby = happy parents!
Tip - get dressed and pack before feeding baby so its the last thing you do before heading to the studio!
6. Safety. This is our utmost top priority when handling your baby. So either mum or dad will be my spotter/assistant. All eyes and hands are to be kept around your newborn during posing. Within the session I will be handling and posing your baby, I will hold and care for him or her as if they were my own, I promise.
The studio will be hot hot hot! Our studio is only small as it is based in our home, and will be heated intensely to keep your little one warm, so please dress in layers so that you can remove some if you get too warm!
Throughout the session, please know that I do not ever mind waiting for you to nurse, nappy change or just take a break to soothe your baby at any point. You and your newborns wellbeing is more important to me than getting the shot. If you are bottle feeding your baby, please bring along more than you think you’ll need - it most likely will be used!
If you have requested poses where your baby is undressed, it is normal and completely okay for baby to poo or wee on my backdrops… or anywhere else. I can assure you this happens all the time, and I am not upset or offended if this happens. Please bring with you extra baby wipes, nappies and a towel. An extra set of clothes for you parents is a good idea, just incase. Someone always gets wee’d or pooped on, its usually me, but sometimes you!
Newborn sessions typically take 2-4 hours, however sometimes longer if your baby is unsettled. Please be assured that if your baby is extremely unsettled on the day we can reschedule to capture those precious moments.
Session and siblings:
If you are wanting sessions with older siblings, these images will be photographed at the start of your session. We suggest either bringing two cars so that your partner can take older sibling(s) back home after we finish with family images, or have your souse/partner take older siblings out to grab snacks while we complete the session.
Cream, ivory or white (without patterns or logos) is recommended for older siblings (tops with jeans or even dresses for girls). The more texture the better (knit, lace, etc). They’ll be barefoot, so no need to look for clean shoes.
If you have requested to have a portrait with your newborn, please keep the clothing simple. personally, plain tops with neutral colours work best. We can discuss this via message prior to your session, most parents like black & white simple family portraits.
Extra wipes and nappies
Lots of milk!
If your bundle of cuteness has a lot of hair, please bring a brush!
Parent or sibling outfits
Extra set of clothes incase of accidents.
Baby go home outfit
Any extra props you would like to bring
For parents, anything to make you comfortable i.e. iPads, books etc. I will provide hot and cold drinks, cakes and biscuits!
Hopefully this blog post will answer any questions you may have about the newborn session itself, if not please email us here with any queries.
Again, thank you for choosing panda creative photography the opportunity to capture these unforgettable memories for a long time to come. Amber xo